This episode of Logistics Strategies Radio features an interview with Laura Schwier discussing “published rates” and how you can recover profits. Laura Schwier is Executive Vice President of ICC Logistics Services, a logistics industry expert, and the assistant editor of the publication “Logistics Strategies.”
Many shippers are under the impression that published rates offered by carriers are nonnegotiable. In reality published rates don’t have to be the rate that you actually pay. In this podcast, Laura explains that published rates are just base rates all discounts apply against, and how ICC Logistics can help negotiate these rates and increase savings for your business’ bottom line.
Tune in to this episode to hear more about:
• How ICC helps empower clients to understand that they don’t have to pay what is offered (“published”) by the carrier.
• How to go about the process of negotiating published rates, and reducing the carrier’s margins.
• How ICC Logistics saved an electronics retailer an additional $1.5 million on top of the $1 million savings offered by the carrier in the published rate ($2.5 million total savings from the published rate).
• Where the savings come from (published rates vs. what you will pay after you negotiate a better rate).
• How important it is to dig down into the details of the data so that you know exactly where all of the discounts need to be increased.
• How important it is to give deadlines to carriers and how it can increase your business’ savings sooner.
• How you can not only save your business money directly by decreasing the rates you pay, but also get your business extended payment terms and a multiyear contract so that you do not have to keep coming back to the bargaining table.
• How a company can increase their bottom line without increasing sales or making changes internally.
Stay tuned for more ICC podcasts.